Srcsmgrl

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Today I have an interview at another library system. Aside from not being in the system I want to work in and being in a location that is difficult to get to from anywhere, there are several reasons why I should want this job. It is an adult/teen services position and full time. It would be challenging, in that I have not yet filled an adult position before and that it is a busy library. The area is rather affluent and there is less of a chance of behavior issues with teens and adults (although the children tend to be more of a problem in this area). There is very little diversity in ethnicity, race or economic standing.

I love working for SPL. I don't want to work in some white, affluent suburb. I like variety and I dare say I would miss all the "interesting characters" that I come into contact working for an urban, well connected library system.

Ok, that said, I am sure that my new job (should I happen to get it) would be challenging and fulfilling. The system is a good one, with good benefits and wonderful underlying organization.

What I really want is my own job, permanent and full time. I know I won't get the latter, but I would settle for the former. That job posting should come up this week or next and I have some good words that have already been put in for me or are ready to be put in. I love the connections that I have made in my library community and look forward to building and expanding them. The partnerships I have built with the local community center and schools are invaluable, and foisting another new teen librarian on them after only nine months will probably make them a little gun shy. I have summer reading programs planned! I can't leave!

Ok, /anxiety ridden ramble

Anyway, this interview will be good practice for the next one.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home