Srcsmgrl

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

What the heck does a TSL do anyway?

Somebody got me thinking about what I do as a teen services librarian yesterday. There are my librarian duties, my branch duties and my teen services duties and when you put all 3 together, it makes up my job. Have I mentioned how much I love my job? And doing it here in Seattle and more specifically at The Seattle Public Library? Gushy and weird, I know. Stop pointing! Not nice...

Anyhow. Librarian stuff:
  • Reference--help patrons find the answers to questions. This can be anything from "what is the capitol of Arkansas?" to "what was the name of the train line that ran between Brussels and Paris during WWII?"
  • Customer service--help patrons find the bathroom, look up their account, help them find the dewey numbers on the shelves, teach them to find items in the catalog, computer help
  • Readers advisory--help patrons find their next book using a variety of methods (authors or books they have liked, etc.)

Facility stuff:

  • Building inside: roam the building to help people, make sure that there are no books or garbage on the floor, make sure that patrons are behaving
  • Building outside: check around the building for garbage, sleepers, other situations that might need dealing with
  • Booking the meeting room: as it sounds

Teen Services stuff:

  • Collection Maintenance: Ordering, shifting and weeding books and materials in the YA section
  • Planning programs for young adults: such big stuff as Comixtravaganza Draw-a-thon contest, gaming tournaments, writing workshop series' and more normal: gaming, zine workshops, Danger: Books! performances, bookgroups, UDYC visits, etc.
  • Helping other branches or central with programs: All Ages, Reading Marathon, etc
  • Outreach: class visits, tabling at schools, teaching database, catalog searching, etc.
There's more, but I have to run away now. L8r.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home