Srcsmgrl

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Venting about Road Rage

I want to tell you all about my wonderful weekend with family in Spokane, but first I have to vent.

I was riding my bike to work today. It is beautiful out and I was enjoying the ride around Greenlake. When I got just past the Greenlake Library, there was a guy parked in the bike lane so I had to pull out into traffic to go around him. As I passed the SUV I said "Thank you" in a slightly sarcastic tone (who me?). There were plenty of parking spots open across the road. I don't know if he thought I said something different, or if he just had a total anger management problem, but he pulled up at the stop sign in the left hand turn lane--I was going straight--and yelled "Why don't you go f*** y0urself?" I replied "Glad you have your own lane all to yourself" and rode on, thinking that was the end of it. However, about a half mile further he passed me then pulled into the bike lane and stopped. I passed him and said "I don't know what your problem is, but you need to get over it." I didn't hear anything back from him, but I had a feeling he was going to do it again. Luckily a cop was parked just ahead and I yelled to him that he should "watch this guy." Then I pulled off the main road and walked my bike for a bit to get my heart back to the correct speed.

I made a few mistakes here; not getting the guys license plate number, not stopping to talk to the cop, not calling 911. Not being sarcastic in the first place would have made the whole thing not even happen. I don't feel like there was anything wrong with me being irritated with the guy parking in "Bike Only" lane, or that I should have "shut up and taken it" though. But I have to admit that it would have made my morning commute much less nerve wracking.

The fact that he was willing to go out of his way to follow me when he was going to turn left. His over reaction with language--I never once swore at him, but I heard many choice words coming from his automobile, beside the sample I gave you above. This was an angry man and it really affected me--my heart was beating much harder and faster than usual and I felt flustered for about an hour. Taking the walk also made me late for work.

I know it is over reacting, but all morning I feel like I am going to see the guy around a corner, or that he is going to be on the phone when I answer it. That feeling is already fading, but it is frightening to me to have felt that way at all.

I talked to the police after I calmed down to find out what I should have done. She asked me why I didn't call 911. I told her because I wasn't sure if it was a crime, or if I was over reacting. She said I should have called and gotten his license place number. In the future, I will know what to do, and as GI Joe says "knowing is half the battle."

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • I've been there, had someone pull over and threaten me after I yelled at them. I think it's often an attempt to start a confrontation, passing too close or whatever. So, now I know it might result in more hassle than I'd like, and I probably say less because of it.

    By Blogger dkingsbury, at 7:13 PM  

  • Your only mistake was the sarcasm. (sarcasm? you? NO!) A blunt "you're parked in a bike-only lane" would have been more productive, IMO. And if not, then you could have gone to the police officer without any taint of having "started it".

    By Blogger El JoPe Magnifico, at 10:49 PM  

  • There was only a slight bit of sarcasm in my voice, and I honestly only said "Thank you." When I went by. I think he was gunning for a fight and I happened to be there. I didn't even raise my voice.

    But there will always be those folks out there that will take a situation to another level. He freaked me out and I am unlikely to make any comments in the near future.

    By Blogger srcsmgrl, at 11:14 PM  

  • Carry a digital camera/cell phone. Take a picture that clearly shows the vehicle in the bike lane, preferably with bike lane/no parking signage in the view. Take a close-up of the license plate. Post it all at mybikelane.com. Get in touch with your local police department and ask if they will send a letter to the registered owner of the vehicle citing the code that makes it illegal to park in the bike lane. Spread the word through the biking community so we're all our own citizen patrol.

    That's the system we're creating in Spokane through our Bicycle Advisory Board (on which I serve), in cooperation with the Spokane Police Department. MyBikeLane.com has the system already set up--we'll just photograph & post, and their citizen volunteer corps will send the letters.

    @BarbChamberlain
    Chair, Bike to Work Spokane (www.biketoworkspokane.org, @Bike2WrkSpokane)
    Member, City of Spokane Bicycle Advisory Board (www.bikespokane.net)

    By Blogger Barb Chamberlain, at 8:51 AM  

  • Thanks for the advice and the website Barb. I will check it out.

    By Blogger srcsmgrl, at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home