Srcsmgrl

Monday, September 15, 2008

Just in Time for Banned Books Week...


As a parent, I just love it when other parents want to make decisions about what my child can read (/sarcasm). As a librarian I think it is appalling that these people want to take away the rights of others to make themselves feel better.

The issue here is: A small group wants the rest of the world to make a concession because they find some materials in the library offensive and don't want their kids to have any chance of exposure. Well, my response is: if you don't want your kids to read it, then you need to talk to your kids, pass on your morals and values, watch what they are reading--even (oh, the work!) read it yourself! Talk about it! 

 I talk to mine, even though he would rather I didn't (embarrasses the heck out of him), about drugs, sex, his diabetes and school.  Not necessarily in that order.  I hope that rather than driving him away, it makes him comfortable talking to me about things.  I suppose time will tell.

I am writing from bed.  I was a little sick over the weekend, although also mildly in denial about the whole thing.  We stayed home on Sunday and I felt ok this morning, but then spent 3 hours volunteering in a small, stuffy, hot house and by the time I was done, I had a full on headache.  And a sore throat.

Funny story.  I was trying to catch some z's this afternoon when suddenly there was bass pumping through my room like I was in the bathroom at a club.  I tossed and turned and finally had to go ask the Landlords to turn the music down.  They didn't know I was even home (all the lights off and it was only about 5pm, no wonder) but looked mildly appalled that they had woken me.  I am sure I looked like hell, too.  Later I got up to eat something and they had left me fresh, home made chicken and rice soup on the table with a nice note apologizing for waking me up.  It so totally hit the spot.  (save me, I am flashing on middle school...totally...I must have a fever).  It was just what I needed right then.  My plan was to heat up some progresso chowder hiding in the back of the cupboards.  Now I have a warm, full belly and am ready to hit the hay again.  Hopefully tomorrow this whole afternoon will be a dream fading in the distance.

2 Comments:

  • I talk to mine, even though he would rather I didn't (embarrasses the heck out of him), about drugs, sex, his diabetes and school. Not necessarily in that order. I hope that rather than driving him away, it makes him comfortable talking to me about things. I suppose time will tell.

    I really wish more parents would talk openly with their kids, despite all the mis-information the majority, I'm sure, would dish out. You're an enlightened parent, & an intelligent & well read individual. Too few are.

    Of course, having no children of my own, I'm sure my opinion means little, but I have had responsibility for children. One was a mess when she came to live with my ex- -- her mother -- & me. Her mother had no clue how to raise a child -- much less a "troubled teen". But I've done a little reading in my time, & have paid attention to what kids say.

    Last I'd heard, that wayward child was living on her own, paying her bills, & taking night courses. I'm convinced she would never be in such a position had she not had intelligent & practical people looking after her when she needed them most.

    As for banning books, I'm sure you know that we're all going to have to deal with this when (due to all too many morons who, regardless of their believing themselves progressive & "with it", vote for yet another republican term. Palin tried it Wasilla. What's to stop her from pushing the plan when she has the power of the White House & Jee-sus behind her?

    Ah, well. No one ever said I had any faith in the future.

    By Blogger G. Angus, at 10:10 AM  

  • There are plenty of people out there more educated than I am that simply have no idea how to interact with their children. Who forget that their children are in fact children and should be looking to their parents for guidance. I don't know that all of your compliments apply to me, but I do try my best. I admit to being a bit in the dark as to how my interactions with my son will pan out--especially since I am the "part time parent." He has it very different than I or his dad did with our split families. I hope we are doing a better job, but I know we still make mistakes.

    By Blogger srcsmgrl, at 7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home