Srcsmgrl

Monday, October 26, 2009

Grumpy Weekend

The weekend was a little stressful for me. The boys don't seem to be talking. They talk in my general direction instead and seem to hope that the other boy will hear.

For example: The Boy asked if there was any soda. I told him he should ask Dr. T (because he had bought some and said it was for that purpose). The boy went back in his room without saying anything.

Me: huh, I don't think he understood was I was saying.

I heard a grunt from Dr. T.

I called to The Boy: There is soda, you just have to ask Dr. T where it is and if you can have some, because he bought it.

The Boy came back out, looked at me and said: Can I have some soda?

Me: Ask Dr. T.

The Boy: Dr. T, can I have some soda? (sort of looking at him, but then looking back at me)

Me: Please.

The Boy: Please?

Dr. T: I think there's some in the cupboard...

Dr. T didn't look at either of us as he said it. He went to get it, but this whole exchange left me feeling like I am in the middle of some silent treatment that is going on. The problem is, everyone forgot to tell me. Or maybe it includes me and that's why they didn't tell me.

Both boys were total bumps this weekend. Except that Dr. T had football and I dragged them both to Bed Bath and Beyond (which still solicits "watch out for the beyond section" from The Boy) and Costco. The crowds do not put me in a good mood and going to Costco sort of did me in. We were supposed to go to a pumpkin carving/autumn party after that, but both bailed on me and when I got home, they were both in the same place as when I left. Total bumps.

So I was grumpy all weekend. On Sunday I didn't even take off my pj's or step further out of the house than to take out some recycling. I did make some amazing bread and The Boy and I made dinner together on Sunday--breaded halibut. Yum.



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Heh, "the Beyond section". That's good!

    By Blogger El JoPe Magnifico, at 9:16 PM  

  • I really think that you and my Hermit need to work with him on communication and respect. I have a feeling Dr. T is feeling the same thing I have been feeling for the last few years. The Boy is not good at communicating with anyone, not even you two, and it gets frustrating for everyone else. If Dr. T makes him talk to him it will get better, but I think the Boy is at a point in growing up where he needs to be a bit more verbal, and realize he has to respect the other people he lives with. Unfortunately, only you and the Hermit can work on instilling those values, because of that respect issue. Hang in there!

    By Blogger Allucas, at 7:55 AM  

  • I totally agree with you and most of the time I do try to get him to do the talking. I had a bad habit in the past of being in a hurry, so after he wouldn't talk I would end up answering for him. I realize that is a bad practice and have tried to make sure I don't do that. I find that he does even better if I am not there with him, but I can't just leave every time to make him take responsibility. I push him to talk for himself most of the time, but now and then I catch myself doing it. Dr. T is not the best communicator either. Time for a talk.

    By Blogger srcsmgrl, at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home