Srcsmgrl

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Looking for the Pot of Gold

Many library employees applied for unemployment during the furlough week. We did so in case there was another furlough, which there will be. It has to be within the year, in my case by August 28, 2010, to be able to get help. Here's hoping.

This has made me start thinking about my resume. I did a couple of job contacts for the unemployment week--they said I should, just in case, although it turned out that I didn't need to after all. Makes me feel a little stupid to apply for jobs I don't want, then find out I didn't have to because I qualified for stand by--point? This; I should really update my resume in case there really is a time I have to start applying for jobs.

I have been looking around the web for examples and I will tell you that they all look very similar to what everyone sees for a resume. Librarian resumes do not look any different from everyone else's according to the internet gods. Two choices, chronological or functional. Contact info, goal, where you've worked, what you did there, degrees awards and affiliations. Personally, I think that is crap. I want more. I want a magical piece of paper that says "hire me! I rock!"

I am going to try out the Resume Builder that the library offers to patrons for free. It resembles one of those annoying job applications where you move from one step to another, inputting everything from your waist size to your first born's ailments, and end up with something that should be monstrous, but somehow isn't. Here's hoping the process doesn't kill me. I am sure it isn't as bad as I am imagining.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home