Srcsmgrl

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Finally a Book Review

I do like the libraries that keep me busy, either by having lots of patrons with reference questions, interaction with patrons or other library staff or with projects. At COL last week I processed all of the new Adult fiction and non-fiction (stickers, changing in the computer, etc.) and scheduled all of the tax help in the meeting room calendar. Today at GLK I organized all of the tax forms into stand up bins and placed them on a rolly cart so they are easily moved and out of the way. Then we put up a winter display on the shelved they used to occupy. Of course, those projects never take long enough, so here I am adding some long needed book reviews to my blog.

I would like to introduce Saint Iggy by KL Going. My fellow TSL's will have at least heard of it and most have read Fat Kid Rules the World, which was by the same author. I enjoyed both books, but the second has transcended the first. KL Going has dropped all the gimicky trappings that she used to sell the first book and has really given us a look into the life of a child less fortunate. Born in the projects addicted to meth, Iggy wants to show everyone that he is a good person. He wants people to look past his druggie parents, ugly neighborhood and odd personality to see who he really is: a real person who does not do drugs or drink and wants to do good with his life. Let down by the system and his friends, Iggy falls into an selfless act that is both more and less than he had planned.

It made me cry. Nuf said.

The second book I read is a feel good book. Sleeping Fresman Never Lie by David Lubar is direct and interesting. He writes the story from the point of view of a "normal" teen boy entering high school as a freshman. There are issues all around Scott Hudson, but he has the tools to deal with them. He does not hate his parents, he loses friends but finds new ones, overcomes superficial first impressions, goes out for the school paper, the spring play and honors classes, when all his peers and brother are trying to avoid anything school related. He learns, he becomes, he grows, just like kids are supposed to. But I loved reading it. He was an interesting kid. He had a great english teacher like the one that inspired me in 9th grade. I was sad when it was over. Thank you David Lubar.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home