Srcsmgrl

Friday, December 15, 2006

The Aftermath

So many quirks are related (probably) to the power outage. It seems strange that all the things going wrong with electrical equipment don't have anything to do with the wind storm last night, so it is my theory that everything is interrelated and even though Ballard has power, the electricity gods are angry and are wreaking havoc with little things as well as the big things.

I am working at BAL today because the power was out at QNA most of the day. It came back on around 3:30 but it was too late to go back and open the branch.

One of the front doors won't open from the outside. It is just not communicating with the "network." Now library online, horizon and the online catalog have all stopped working. IT is trying to get things back up, but it has been about an hour now and the public computers won't let people log on. A few hopefuls are still hanging out trying to wait out the computers, but at this point I don't think they will come back up. I am trying to do reader's advisory with only online.

Someone just tried one of the emergency doors and set off the alarm. It was a young man who immediately told me that he did it. There was a language barrier, so I didn't give him a hard time but pointed out that it said "emergency exit only" and he said he understood. I wonder what he was trying to do.

On the other hand, I have met some really interesting people today. Bill is a cross country ski instructor at Snoqulamie, a very nice older gentleman that was looking for information on a french opera that was playing in New York. A kid that was looking for a good book--I finally found him one he liked...that took a long time, but I have it to kill at the moment.

There was a homeless man sleeping in the back of the library and it took 3 of us shaking him and telling him he had to leave to get him moving. I think it was only the threat of a call to the police that did it. He smelled as if he had drank a whole keg of schlitz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home