Srcsmgrl

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Economy and Green Things

Article and video with Susan Hildreth, the new City Librarian talking about the upcoming budget cuts and the increase in usage of the library in the last year. Also, today she sent an email to staff saying that she and the library board and directors will be giving back the 4.5% cost of living raise they received. You will remember that the Mayor and other city executives will be doing the same.

It brings a tear to my eye to think of the higher ups being selfless this way. Too bad AIG contractors couldn't do the same. We still haven't heard what the proposed budget cuts are, but I am sure these proclaimations of self sacrifice by administration is somewhat to soften the blow. Better a 4.5% pay cut than losing one's job, for sure.

I started planting indoors for my garden. With the weather so unpredictable, I want to make sure the last frost is done before I move planting outdoors. So far I am starting tomatoes, green beans, collard greens and pumpkins with plans for corn, lettuce and herbs. We are doing an herb garden at the house this year and I will plant the veggies at the p-patch. The strawberries over there are still doing well and the irises are coming back nicely. They were so beautiful last year.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Be careful when transplanting your tomatoes. Don't touch them with your bare hands, and don't let them get root bound or let their tops touch anything. Tomatoes are delicate, but so rewarding.

    By Blogger Allucas, at 8:56 AM  

  • I grew my own tomatoes from starts last year, and they did ok. The couple of plants that I bought did better, but the light in my apartment isn't that great. I found a sunnier window to put them in this year, though. I didn't know that about touching them, but I don't like the smell they leave on my hands anyway, so I avoided it.

    By Blogger srcsmgrl, at 10:12 AM  

  • That's so funny. We were just talking at work about how gross it was that co-worker Nun and I don't mind smelling like dirt, cedar or tomatoes. Ha ha.

    By Blogger Allucas, at 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home