Srcsmgrl

Friday, October 27, 2006

Lunch Tables and Mentors

Well, my first experience doing a lunch table went fairly well, due for the most part to my fellow librarians showing up to help me out. During the first few minutes, there was a mad rush to get the candy I brought--next time the pieces will be smaller and will be doled out in smaller incraments. After that initiation, things slowed down to a much more managable level, and we got a whole lot of the teen gaming surveys filled out for teen librarians at central. It helped that we only let kids that filled out the survey have the cool flip pens that I posted pictures of yesterday. They were a real hit. We chatted, and kids tried to be funny, walking of with library books from our display and such. Many of the books I brought interested the kids, which I was glad of, and I decided to put two on the Staff Pick display and another two that I already had on the Halloween Display I put on top of the glass case with Staff Pick cards in them. Skateboarding is Not a Crime was one of the most popular. I think they wore me out though. It was an intense experience.

I am filling out the application for mentoring (so I can get one). I am excited for the opportunity to keep on working with my manager after he leaves us to go work at Central. We of course will be scattered as well, since the building is closing for renovations. I think that I will be able to learn a lot from him about SPL and moving up in the system the right way or at least in a productive way. I don't know if there is a "right way." The application is a little daunting, although I am sure that it will be fine once I get started. There are a bunch of essay questions about why I want to have a mentor and how I take criticism, etc.. Fun, Fun

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home