Srcsmgrl

Saturday, October 14, 2006

My Biggest Fear is Failure

But you can't fail or succeed if you don't try, right?

So, I am planning an teen poetry contest on Queen Anne. VOYA (Voice of Youth Advocates) has a yearly poetry contest where the entries must be submitted by librarians or teachers. I made flyers, asked for help from the local schools and community centers, distributed the flyers to local businesses.

I am planning a celebration in April (poetry month) to celebrate our submissions and winners. I want to bring in a slam poet, have snacks and possibly talk our winners to read their work (before the slam poet goes, of course). I will either get prizes through our program fund or ask for donations from the community businesses. I think a gift certificate to the art store or the book store would be appropriate.

So, what if no one enters...or only a couple of people enter? Then I look like a fool and I lose face with my manager. If I succeed, I gain experience, get to know my community better and get kudos from my manager. I guess it is a good gamble.

1 Comments:

  • Suggestion: reach out* to your target demographic, individually or in a viral way, in the places where they hang out...myspace and facebook. Send each targeted individual a standard email...speak their language, "Hey, luv ur profile. You seem like a poetic person. Do you write poems? If so, there's a contest we're sponsoring to promote Seattle's young voices that I'd like to invite you to participate in. [Details] Whether or not you're personally interested, please share this invite with your friends, esp if they write killr poems."
    --WYSIWYG--

    By Blogger microcog, at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home