Srcsmgrl

Friday, September 22, 2006

Yesterday and today

Things are a little more optimistic today. I think I have been making a good impression. My skills assessment at KPLS went well, so that also lifted my spirits a bit. This job has definitely made me more confident in my skills and helped round out my experience. I did this weird customer service experience where I wore a temporary name badge and greated people as they came in to the Issaquah library.

Addition: I wrote that yesterday, then got sidetracked.

The other portions of the skills assessment were reference, reader's advisory, teen and children's services. I did really well at everything except reader's advisory, which I completely bombed. My role play partner told me that she likes books about war, especially involving the us. I told her about Guns, Germs and Steel, which I have never read, but have heard about and managed to tell her it was about something completely different from what it is really about. I looked it up later and was really embarrassed. Guess I need to brush up on my war books. Of course it was even harder because she wanted a book on tape rather than one to read, and there just aren't that many non fiction books on tape. Oh well.

I just got notification that my job has been extended and I will be deployed!!! Whoo hoo, no starvation for me!

Logistics:

Printing here at SPL is different than at Sno-Isle. Here print jobs are released from a central printer using a library card and every page is charged. At SI, print jobs are released from the individual computer and the first 10 pages are free every day, plus free printing from the databases. The benefits of SPL's system are that people do not have to take time out of their computer time to pay and print items. More about printing fun later. Right now I have to do a little dance and celebrate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home