Srcsmgrl

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Presidents!

I went to see the Presidents of the United States of America at the Showbox on Sunday. Their energy really blew me away, but I guess I will start by talking about the opening acts. The Trucks played first. They are from Bellingham, WA and first started performing in 2003. They are definitely a girl band that screams, jams and lights up the stage. Their theme is feminism and the lead was wearing a white dress decorated with tampons--found art anyone?

No-fi Soul Rebellion is also from Bellingham. This is a husband and wife team, and more of a comedy act than a music group. Mark sort of raps to different songs from a cd player while his wife Andrea pretends to play the guitar and otherwise just poses like a rock star. It was a pretty funny schtick, but my lil' sis had seen it before and said it was the exact same show, which I could see getting a little old. Might be time for some new material there, No-fi.

When the Presidents came out, it was "Love Everybody Tonight" from beginning to end. What I mean to say is that they played all the favorites (and there are a lot of them.) They started out with "Kitty" and I would say they played at least 15 songs including "Lump," "Dune Buggy," "Naked and Famous," " Back Porch," "Peaches" and many more. The energy level was amazing with some of the first dancing I have seen in Seattle in years at a club. People were also crowd surfing, the band pulled fans up on stage to help and there was a huge gorilla that lounged around throwing bananas into the crowd. After they finished, the fans hooted, hollard and waited impatiently for them to return, which they did. Another 5 or 6 songs were played with the same great feeling of positive energy as the first set.

People really love this band. There were tons of different groups represented. I saw frat boys, little kids, hippie parents (and other kinds of parents), teens of all types and I think I even saw some hipsters hiding in the corners (because of course it wouldn't be cool for them to be caught at a Presidents show--they used the excuse of seeing the trucks and then stayed on for their secret love ;) It was amazing.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home