Srcsmgrl

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Such Good Stuff

Sometimes things just seem to come together. Yesterday was stellar. I rode my bike to work. I settled on the Burke Gilman Trail route and did 6 miles in a little over half an hour. I probably could have done it a little faster except that there was a detour and a hill tired me enough so I had to stop for a drink of water. I also walked a little way up a hill at the end, when I thought my leg muscles were going to burst (yucky thought). Today I am weary, but the soreness has not settled in yet. I am sure I will have that tomorrow. For various reasons I rode the bus home last night.

Cool thing number two: two meetings with teachers in my community. One was to set up a film night in connection with a school curriculum. That one is going to have some legal questions--can we cover the rights with Fair Use, or does she have to pay for them? The second meeting was even better. I met with a small school that functions out of the school district, but supports homeless youth and kids that can't go to other schools. It is housed in a support center for homeless youth. Meeting with them was like a shot in the arm. I used to work with a similar population during my undergraduate years of volunteering with the Office of Minority Affairs. (Did you know that single parents are minorities? Yes, I guess we are) These guys are doing wonderful things and it was exciting talking about the ways we could partner. That house might be something I would like to get involved in outside of my library persona.

Cool thing number three: a very open and creative discussion with my new manager. We discussed our ideas for the future of teen services at our branch. I know I am going to have all the support I need to pursue my ideas and he even gave me some new ones. I love this job and I mean to keep it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Cool. I was figuring along the lines of all of the above when you were initially feeling down about getting shunted to these branches. Not sure whether I articulated that to you very well at the time though.

    By Blogger El JoPe Magnifico, at 11:39 AM  

  • I wasn't upset about going to those branches so much as not getting my former job. I love my new branches, actually. Even the "problem child."

    By Blogger srcsmgrl, at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home