Srcsmgrl

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

More September Project

This is blog that I lurk on from Singapore Public Library.  The teen volunteers created a cool interactive game that used books in their system to give hints where to go next in the library.  The teens then blogged about the experience.  I find myself amazed that it is all in English--lucky us.

I knew that my online friend David Silver was heavily involved in the September Project, but what I didn't realize was that he was one of the co-founders when he lived here in Seattle.  I have always found him inspirational because of the scope of his classes and his interest in the community, but now he has given me a new faith in what an individual can do to influence the world.  Not everyone knows what the September Project is, but this is one of those things that I hope continues to spread until everyone does.  I will do my part to help.

I am going to try to make it to this:

Eric Liu and Nick Hanauer: 'The True Patriot'
Who gets to call themselves a patriot? In this presidential election year, the true meaning of patriotism will be widely contested. Join authors Nick Hanauer and Eric Liu for a lively civic discussion of what it means to love America and be a patriotic citizen.

6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 25, at the Capitol Hill Branch

I have always been interested in people's different definitions of patriotism.  Why is wanting an end to the war in Iraq unpatriotic?  Why is wanting our soldiers to come home bad?  I saw a bumper sticker on Monday morning that said "If you don't revere and respect this [picture of US flag] then you can leave."  Then it had the various miles from somewhere to Mexico, Canada, Cuba, etc.  I am sure there are folks out there that do not love our country for one reason or another, but it seems that most people just want our country to be the best it can be and that our opinions differ on how that would manifest.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home