Srcsmgrl

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Connecting, ordering and shushing

Whew, people are finally starting to reply to my emails. It was really hard not to send more, with increasing levels of anxiety, asking for responses. Now I have to find time to meet with people in person which should be exciting. I am compiling a list of books for book talks and considering buying some of the books so that I have them on hand when necessary. I miss Sno-Isle's uncataloged book collection!

I got a letter yesterday from one of my young friends in Arlington. 12 year olds don't really like to write, so I am almost surprised. There were 3 whole sentences! So I wrote her back and asked a lot of questions, so maybe next time I will get 6. It just makes me happy that she wrote. I actually saw her yesterday in Arlington when The Boy and I went to the library to do his homework. We waved. The library was really busy--I hope they get their new library approved at the voting in November. They really need the space.

It looks like I will get to order some copies of books for here, as long as they are already in the catalog. That is great since I have been feeling like there are some holes in our collection. In a lot of series, we will just have the 3rd book. I would rather have the first, to get kids into the series when they are browsing, or so that I can recommend it. Most teens don't want to put the books they are looking for on hold, so if it is not one they are looking for, it is even less likely.

Funny how on Saturday I mentioned not having any problems yet. Just a little while later, the Russian patron came in and was more irrational than usual. He was making patrons uncomfortable and when I reminded him he was in a library he made a bit of a scene. But then he left and I didn't feel that I needed to call security or anything. I did send out an email which was responded to by several other staff who were also concerned. The end result was that we are supposed to call security to be on hand if he comes in again, just so they are there if he does something untowards. I don't even know his name, as he never uses a library card when he is in, just the reference materials.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home