Srcsmgrl

Friday, May 16, 2008

Byersebooks

At the same time as my sister has been having trouble ordering online, I have gotten my first fraudulent charge. Well, actually my second, but I forgot about the first one.

As you know, I am a librarian. I buy a lot of books, both for myself and for others. Many of these purchases are made at Amazon online. I also buy locally, but when I am pressed for time or need to ship them anyway, I go for Amazon.

No, Amazon did not fraud me (that I know of). I am just painting a bit of background here. I buy a lot of books, and sometimes I buy them online, so when a charge showed up months ago for a Byers ebooks, I wondered briefly, but then forgot about it. It was only a couple of dollars and I thought--well, it doesn't make sense now--but I thought it could have been a service charge or something.

Another one showed up on 5/1, this time for 4.95. It puzzled me, but I almost forgot about it again! Bad me. Anyhow, I happened to be looking at my account again today and I decided to call the bank. They gave me the phone number listed and I called a recorded voice in New Jersey and left a message saying if they didn't call me back I would be disputing the charge. I felt a little suspicious at this point, so I googled the company name and found two posting boards with people complaining about this company making fraudulent charges to their debit and credit cards. These are only the people that figured it out--plenty of others probably got larger charges later because they didn't do anything about it. Anyhow, I called the bank back and reported it. They found that it was done using an old debit card number that I thought had been canceled. Evidently it was the same card that I had on record at iTunes, so she wanted to make sure I had made those purchases too. That was The Boy being sneaky and ordering music--I think. I am going to have to ask him about that again.

So, happy ending. I am getting my $4.95 back and probably not getting my account wiped out by some crook in New Jersey. And, since that card number is canceled, The Boy can't make any more purchases from iTunes! Yay! Two birds and all that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home