Srcsmgrl

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Comic Movie Geekiness

I had a mother and son come in last week wanting to see if "The Iron Giant" was in the catalog yet. The mother didn't think it would be, since it had just gotten in the theater...

Yes, the Iron Giant came out in 1999. Iron Man is in the theaters now. When I looked up the Iron Giant in the catalog, I found the cartoon movie. I only saw the listing briefly, but noticed that the description said that it was based on The Iron Man by Ted Hughes. I relayed this to my sister last night, and since I hadn't seen the movie or read the comic by by Stan Lee, I didn't know there were two story lines with the same title, one a children's book, the other a comic. The Iron Giant cartoon movie was based on Ted Hughes' story, who was married to Sylvia Plath when she committed suicide in 1963. He wrote it to comfort his children after their mother's death. I did know, however, that the Iron Giant and Iron Man were two very different movies, and I told the mother so. I recommended the Iron Giant and she put that on hold. I doubt she will regret it.

I saw Iron Man today and can happily say that I don't regret it, either. Robert Downey Jr. really surprised me with his acting ability (and his physique :) He must have kicked the habit finally, yay! I loved the entire movie and no one can change my mind. :P

The boy had his birthday yesterday. We bbqed with my dad's side and friends that day and today we had dinner with mom's side, and celebrated Mother's day, of course. Dr. T left today for clinic rotation in Spokane for a month and a half. He gets back just in time for me to leave for California. Luckily I will be visiting twice later in May, so I won't have to be completely boyfriend free for all that time. I miss him already though :'(

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home