Srcsmgrl

Thursday, May 01, 2008

A Big Fat D

Many of you know that my son, The Boy, has type 1 diabetes. My mother also has type 2. She "got" it after giving birth to her last child and had had gestational diabetes with each of her children before that. Well, I got some disturbing news yesterday. My sister, the one that I take vacations with, spent thanksgiving with, that I miss so much since she has moved to Nevada, has diabetes as well. We don't know yet whether it is type 1 or 2 yet, only time will tell. She is fine at the moment and is ready to do the right thing--follow a diet, test her blood sugar regularly and take her medicine, which at the moment is insulin pills. At least she will be a good role model for The Boy, where his grandmother is not.

And I made an appointment for a regular check up in June, but I told them I wanted to see another doctor. The one I saw last time, Dr. Rosen, was brusque and pushy. I told the receptionist that I didn't feel that he listened to me, and she said it shouldn't be a problem to switch. I am going to tell the new doctor about my family history and ask for a blood test, although when I checked my blood sugar levels at the diabetes walk last fall, I was within the normal range.


The next walk is October 11th, which reminds me to sign up and make a team. I feel bad that I haven't gotten to pledge on my friend's efforts to raise money for other charities this year. I have been making a concerted effort to pay off bills and this leaves me somewhat short right after I get a paycheck. I need a bigger budget! Anyhow, the Step Out for Diabetes walk will be at Seward Park. The Boy, Miranda and I did it last year and although the day was cool, it didn't rain and the views were beautiful!


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home