Srcsmgrl

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sugar is Bad...

Over the last year or two, my son has stopped doing his homework unless threatened with severe consequences. He has complained of headaches and being tired. Boredom was his biggest complaint. If you are tired all the time, you don't feel much like doing anything. Video games, which engage the imagination without the expenditure of much energy, would be a solace. An escape.

Now that we know he had diabetes, all these things make more sense. Especially the last month or so of increasing soda addiction, the need to pee suddenly, drinking entire gallons of water, the headaches and sleeping late. Mostly things that can be attributed to being a new teenager. To the habit of "being bored." But I hope that as we treat this, with diet and insulin, that his energy will return and he will be happy and energetic again.

Tomorrow, when he gets out of the hospital and starts towards home, he will start another journey. And while it will be hard for him, hard to change his diet, hard to give himself shots, I know he will persevere. I love that boy with all my heart and he will have the support he needs through this. I know he won't always want it, but I am ready to face what comes.

Sorry to be so...spouty :)

And yes, I know that all those things that I am attributing to diabetes did have something to do with being a teenager as well. He also never told us how uncomfortable he was. That is definitely my boy. Always trying to pretend everything is all right. Don't want to upset the parents, you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home