Srcsmgrl

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Libraryland Update

So...I have applied for my job. I wrote a two page letter to support my claim--probably too much information but I just couldn't stand to cut anything more out. I am optimistic.

I totally re-arranged the teen section at one of my libraries. It really seems to flow better. There isn't a lot of room there, but I was able to get the magazines off the top of the shelves to allow more display space. Then I used the first block of shelves for new books and display, the Buffy Series--which checks out amazingly well since they have been pulled out of the collection--and the audio books. Then I have the straight YA fiction. In the other area, I moved the shelves so that manga will fit on the top two and the larger graphic novels and super hero comics fit on the bottom. To make this easier on the shelvers, I put the manga in series order so that anything that didn't fit on the shorter shelves could go down with the other comics, then I sent out an email to staff to let them know about the new shelving theme. When I came in yesterday, someone had switched it all back. I found the culprit and she said she didn't know what manga was... So ASK! Anyhow, the new order is making most of the shelvers happy. And things look a lot better--fresher--over there.

My book reviews in display books are going over really well. I use a mix of my own reviews, some from Kirkus or Publishers Weekly and a few I got from teens over the summer. I find that my own reviews seem to sell books the best, but I don't have time to read everything that I find display worthy. Eventually...but new books come out every day, so probably not.

Oh hey! Cool comics events right here! These are for teens and adults so invite all your friends. I am really excited about ours. I walked the 'hood on Tuesday and handed out fliers and put up posters in local businesses. I met a lot of cool people--everyone was really nice and the shoppers weren't too annoying ;)

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • good luck with the job hunt!

    any chance you can take a photograph of the book reviews in display books? i'd be curious to see what that looks like.

    By Blogger david silver, at 4:48 PM  

  • I won't be able to until Wednesday, due to holiday break and such, but I will post a pic soon.

    Thanks for the luck!

    By Blogger srcsmgrl, at 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home